Darker The Night* examines life in World War II Germany from the civilian perspective. Teachers in middle and upper grades are using the novel as a comparison and contrast to the more familiar Holocaust stories-The Boy in The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, The Diary of Anne Frank, and Night by Elie Wiesel.
Sabrina Beasley, MA, NBCT EA/ELA, has designed this teaching tool to give educators engaging activities, studies and projects. Her tools offer many options for differentiation.
A Complete Teacher's Manual for Darker the Night includes:
- Pre-reading activities
- Note-taking guide
- Anticipation & reflection guide
- Holocaust terminology and German vocabulary
- Project and essay ideas
- Socratic seminar
- Enrichment activities for advanced learners
- Assessments, objective test and essay test
- and digital resources including Quizlets and interviews with the woman who inspired the novel.
* Darker The Night has a Lexile score of HL 640L.